Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Latest Thai Trip Kit Thoughts

I have been thinking of what I preach all the time, simplification. Taking 3 camera formats at 6 different cameras to Asia would be just a little bit crazy. If I was going for 6 months that would be one thing but for 7 weeks, why take so much gear? Photography can be done with 1 camera and 1 lens, no need to go gear wacko.

I am not planning on just taking 1 camera and 1 lens but I was thinking of a deep cut in gear.

- 5x7 Linhof
- 120mm lens
- 1 spot meter
- 2 M6 Leica bodies
- 21mm lens
- 35mm lens
- 300-400 sheets of 5x7 Tri-x
- 100 rolls of 35mm Tri-x
- Changing bag
- 15 5x7 holders.

That's about it, nothing much else. I need to think of this as a 5x7 film trip, I will concentrate all or almost all my efforts on shooting the 5x7 with 1 lens making portraits. I will throw in the 100 rolls of 35 and the 2 Leica's for fun. I am doing the best work of my life now in 35mm I cannot abandon it totally. The main focus thou will be to do some outstanding portraiture with the 5x7. The idea would be to shoot 300 or 400 sheets of 5x7 Tri-x with one lens the 120mm. Doing it this way with simple tools I should truly begin to learn one lens and one film, and not be distracted by unnecessary bells and whistles. I can simply concentrate on my subject and making pictures, it would be a purer form of photography. Hopefully the work will eventually be printed in book form so I can keep my vow to my father.