Monday, June 9, 2014

Got The Stuff

Went down to Jack's place today to get the darkroom stuff he was giving away. I picked up:

1) 11-20x24 trays.
2) 8-10 16x20 trays.
3) 8-10 11x14 trays.
4) large box of chemicals. sodium sulfate, a ton of hypo clear, fix, potassium ferricyanide, stop, big bottle of glacial acetic acid, dectol, Xtol and other film developers, sepia toner, 4 bottles of photo flow.
5) a bag of 4x5 film holders.
6) 5x7 Durst 138S condenser enlarger.
7) Various back up enlarger parts, a rusted Durst 1200 plus baseboard and another Durst 5x7 enlarger body, everything but the head (might not be able to use these).
8) A close up photo Linhof copy stand device (might not be able to use this).
9) 4 or 5 boxes of neg carriers, condensers and other parts for the 5x7 enlarger.
10) A ton of film clips in different styles (for use in Thai or rental darkroom).
11) Some 4x5 newton glass (wonder it will fit my damaged Saunders LPL holder).

I still have the 2 cabinets to pick up, will do that tomorrow night. All this gear was free from Jack.
I also purchased for $100 CAD 2  high quality Saunders paper easels, one measuring 11x14 and the other 20x24. These are great tools that I can use to replace some of my lower quality easels. I now have 2 large Saunders 20x24 easels, the best ever made. Jack gave me a great deal on the easels as the 20x24 alone on eBay sells for $325 USD plus a big shipping cost as its large and heavy. There is a Durst 138S enlarger with lens on eBay as well that their asking $4700 USD for (extreme wishful thinking on the sellers part).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Durst-138S-139-5x7-Enlarger-Plus-Accesories-/251523249651?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a8ff435f3

Jack really helped me out today. Here is a photo of the enlarger set up in my basement. I have to do some major moving in the darkroom to get this baby to fit inside, but once I do this is going to be a real gem! I put the turret lens head from the 8x10 enlarger on this enlarger and it seems to fit fine. I think lots or parts are interchangeable in the Durst line, much like with Blad or Leica stuff. With all this new gear I have all kinds of options for setting up my rental darkroom, and have equipment I can easily use in Thai if I set up a film developing area in the condo.

It's hard to turn down equipment you get for free, but I guess there domes a point where enough is enough, I think 6 enlargers of all shapes, types and sizes in a darkroom is that upper limit. Now there is just the little must matter of becoming a master printer.

Update* This 5x7 had been disabled and was in storage for years, after I put it together and plugged it I flicked the power switch and low and behold the old bulb still worked (need to buy a backup, which are hard to find). These things are built to the highest quality, they will last long after I am old and frail and falling apart. I can't wait to use this thing, it should be a blast, giving ultras harp higher contrast images. It might work great with the 120 ring flash stuff I am shooting of dad and new photos I plan to shoot of sex workers in Asia next trip. This could all turn out really really well. I need to continue to work hard and improve in the darkroom, I want to become a truly great printer. I want my photographs to sing out with strength and beauty. My darkroom might be the best equipped or at least top 3 in the city, maybe one of the top 5 in the province. I have no excuses now, I have the enlargers, I have the paper and chemistry, and might even have the negs. Lets print some great stuff!

Update** The bulb in the enlarger is a 150w and they recommend a 250w in the manual. I have read the bulbs are harder to find now and some adaption of the head might be required. You can manipulate the position of the bulb in the had quite a bit. I will experiment with the 150 and see how it works out, I also have some kind of other big ass (not sure size) bulb in my darkroom cupboard from years ago that might work. If worse comes to worse I will have to adapt the head somehow, plenty of info on that online.

Update*** I have all the condensers (2 at a time) I need to use 240mm, 210mm, 150mm, 80mm and 50mm lens on the enlarger. I do not have a 50 or 80mm lens thou that fits my turret lens board. I might have to get another lens board if I use this enlarger to print 35mm or 120 film.

Free Durst 138S 5x7 enlarger