Wednesday, June 11, 2014

7?

I now have 7, count them 7 enlargers in my darkroom, that might be a tad excessive!!

1) Durst 184 8x10
2) Durst 138S 5x7
3) Durst 1200 4x5
4) Durst 1000 4x5 (will probably move this enlarger to the rental darkroom, if I build it).
5) Saunders LPL colour head (wall mounted)
6) Saunders LPL multi grade b/w head.
7) Omega condenser enlarger.

I did a stability test comparing my base board mounted Saunders LPL and the new Durst 1200 and found the Durst much more stable, maybe 2 or 3 times as stable. The Durst hardly moved when I had the head all the way to the top of the column and shook the enlarger. I should be able to make sharper prints with it versus the LPL. I like the multi grade b/w head on the Saunders which allows for easier printing but the stability on the Durst 1200 might win out especially for the larger 35mm 16x20 and 20x24 sized prints. One other thing I like about the 1200 Durst is that it has a fine focus knob on it, my Durst 1000 does not have this feature.

7 enlargers are way to many but at least I have backups if I have breakdowns and different type of light source options. Cheap and free makes the enlargers difficult to hold off getting but I think I have enough now, best to spend my time printing not setting up more enlargers. With all these machines I can invite friends over to print and can also use them for my various workshops.

Once I get the darkroom all cleaned up, all the new enlargers set up, I will make some photos and a short vid to show you all. Hopefully by the end of the week this will be done and I can start developing film and printing again, I miss it! I need to have a working darkroom or I feel a bit off, it has been 2 days now with no darkroom, that's to long.

Update* Spent my second night cleaning and redoing the darkroom, I have all the enlargers set up now thou I am missing the negative carrier for the 1200. I removed a large table and TV stand on rollers to make more work and am tossing out lots of useless things, or moving them into storage somewhere else. I should have the darkroom up and running by weeks end. The 7 enlargers makes the place look a bit like a used darkroom equipment fire sale. The baseboard for the Omega condenser enlarger is also substituting for a TV stand. I have a small Sony tube I got free from my friend Larry that I watch sometimes when working. Last night as I worked I was watching an old VHS tape of a movie called "Exposure"about a photographer in Brazil. Not a great show but I like the Brazil locations and all the documentary photography sections of the film.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0101834/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_103