Monday, May 5, 2014

Worked With The 5x7

I worked with the 5x7 today in available light with a reflector. The Linhof is a beautiful camera to use, its a bit old, the bellows are frayed and there are some focus slipping issues (when the lens is pointed down) but I am really getting to love this thing. I did 8 photos of dad laying on the sofa in his burgundy pyjamas using the 120mm (2 seconds at F 8.2). Making available light portraits with a large format camera is really about being in a special place, you become one with your tool, concentrate on your subject and work in such a slow methodical way, its almost meditative.

Making pics this way is simply beautiful. I am really looking forward to shooting 150 plus sheets with the Linhof 5x7 when I return to Asia, the photos will be done in Klong Toey slum and at the Mae Sot garbage dump. I am unsure of whether I will use it to make any environmental sex worker portraits but that's a maybe as well, especially after the influence of Mr. Bellocq's image (earlier blog). I will solely with Tri-x and probably work with 2 lens the 120 and the 210 (to do some closer work).

Dad looked so peaceful today, we made the photos after he had taken a bath. I will so miss kissing him, hearing about his day and telling him about mine when he is gone. Dad is still very mentally sharp and aware, he remembers things much better than mom and he sees everything, notices everything you do and say. Dad's eyesight, hearing, mind are all in A+ shape, it just his body that is failing him with the cancer, if not for that he could probably make it to his late 80s maybe early 90s.