Sunday, May 11, 2014

Photo Story: Young Begging Girl Bangkok 1999

This photograph was made on my second trip to Thailand in 1999. In 1999 I spent 10 months living in Bangkok with occasional visa runs to Malaysia and Cambodia. Since I was in Thailand so long I rented an apartment (complete with cockroaches) and set up a small darkroom in the bathroom. Back then digi photography was a non factor so I used to give out small contact print photos I made with my Mamiya 6 camera as gifts, most everyone I photographed got a free photo (if I could find them again). I would shoot all night, then develop the stuff all the next day. I would come back later with loads of small b/w photos in envelopes to hand out. This child was part of my 35mm work, it was one of the images that inspired me to return to the 35mm b/w work in the last 3 or 4 years. With a 35mm camera and Tri-x you can create such powerful unique stylistic type photographs, the grain and contrast just gives you an edge that's hard to recreate other ways, its so wonderfully visual and abstract. A strong documentary image made with a 35mm Tri-x neg printed on warmtone fibre paper is just plain special.

I had been doing a bunch of 6x6 work but that day I decided to shoot the 35mm. This poor little child had be left by her mother alone to beg, probably because a child alone makes more money. The people walking by her were heading home on the busy walking bridge (raised bridge over a busy road) where she sat, they basically ignored the child, I saw no money given while I was there making photos outside of the money I left. It is a common practise to use children to beg on walking bridges and the sidewalks in Bangkok especially in area where there are tourists. On the opposite end of this bridge is a major shopping center frequented by wealthier Thais and tourists so that is probably why it is chosen by the mother who placed her daughter there. I found the smiling Colonel Sanders on the cup the look on the child's face and the indifference of the nearby adults compelling so I made the image. 

I have often heard stories from Thais that some women will actually rent a baby for the day to beg with, in these cases they would hold the baby and beg together all day  to raise money. I am not sure if this true or not, it might be a way people rationalize not giving. In cases like this young girl, I think the mother was nearby watching but sometimes I believe. the child is left alone all day.

Tech stuff, Nikon F5, 20-35mm and Tri-x (200? 800? most likely pushed film). I forget the development info, probably in HC-110B.


Young begging girl on walking bridge, Bangkok Thailand 1999