Sunday, April 27, 2014

The Joys Of Buying A Donut

I can't believe how great it felt today to buy a donut. That's sort of a strange way to start a blog story but you need to know the rest of the story to get it. I was visiting dad at the hospital today before work, I did a few photos of him and brought him a newspaper. Dad was doing a bit better, he was lying on his hospital bed in the sun looking quite comfortable and relaxed. We started talking and dad asked if I could get a curly donut for him at Tim Hortons, he said he had a craving for it. Now if you know my father you know that he is a very independent man who always likes to do everything himself, he hates to ask for things and does not like to cause a fuss. For him to ask today meant he really wanted it, as soon as he asked he sort of un-asked but I knew the truth. So after some more questions (what the heck is a curly donut?) I ran off to the shop downstairs to see if I could get him either the curly donut or a raisin brand muffin. I found out the curly was actually a French Cruller (dad often changes the names of things to own unique brand), so I bought 2 of those plus a raisin brand muffin. To watch my dad quickly eat this cruller was so satisfying, it felt great to make him a little bit happier. Dad ate the thing up in minutes, it was gone very quickly, he looked happy as he ate. We talked about past and an upcoming weddings, about the passage of time, about good times before and in the future.

At this point in  our time together something as simple as buying a donut for your father can be a rewarding thing, a joyful thing, it made me feel great. Heck this curly donut thingy moment might be something I remember and think back fondly to 10 years from now. It felt so great to to do something, to do anything for dad.

He can have the muffin and the second cruller later tonight if he is still hungry.Tomorrow we will bring dad home from the hospital again, so that's great, I am eager to get him home.We were only together today for maybe 40 minutes total but it was a great day!