Friday, April 11, 2014

Simplicity In Shooting

Been thinking a lot lately of making things simpler. Jock Sturges uses 1 camera, 1 lens and 1 film to do all of his work, that seems so right to me. Many of my photo acquaintances are dazzled by the toys of photography but whenever I study a great photographer they almost always use simplified tools. The great landscape zone system photographer John Sexton for example uses 1 camera, 2 films and a few lens (4 or 5) to do all his work. He does not need 5 cameras, 10 films and 25 lens. Thinking back to the great Edward Weston it was also 1 8x10 camera, 1 film and a few lens (he did use a Graflex for some of portraiture as well). Henri Cartier-Bresson used a Leica rangefinder and two lens for all of his wonderful work. The pros, the really great artists know how to use simple gear to create memorable work, they are not dazzled by the toys of photography, they use few tools, work hard and make greatness. The hobbyist photographer is unsure of what he is doing and thinks that an extra camera, many lens, many films, many filters etc. etc. will somehow make better pictures. All that gear accomplishes is confusion, the hobbyist has his toys but misses out most times in finding the good image. The thing I go over with all of people who take my workshops is forget all that gear sh-t, do not not be dazzled, work with simple tools and photograph, photograph, PHOTOGRAPH! The greatest pieces of gear a photographer can use are his own heart and mind.

Next trip with my 5x7 I am undecided if I should take 1 or 2 lens, if I go with 1 there is always the chance of it breaking down on me. I do like the idea of really learning 1 lens and 1 film, and creating that way, no photo bells and toy whistles, just me and the subject melding together and telling stories.