Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Photo Story: Young Mother Mae Sot Garbage Dump, Thailand 2013

I was working on the web page tonight and came upon this image. I do not think I have ever posted it before, I did post  a variation of this photograph where the young mother is looking up with anxiety. Earlier on the day I made this photograph I had seen the young girl walking in the dump somewhere, I did not know she was a mother, she looked so young to me at the time, maybe 14-15 years old. I remember when I saw her holding and caring for the young baby later on in the family home I was shocked, she looked to childlike to be a mother, to fragile but yet that was the case. The lady lying in front of her is her mother, a women probably in her late 40s or early 50s who was in ill health. I ended up photographing this family quite a bit in both May and November of 2013, this photo is from the May trip. The family was always kind to me, I gave them rice, some canned fish and photographs on several occasions. I still have a few color photos I want to give them the next time I visit. The photos are of the father and mother of the home sitting together and laughing. During the November trip I also photographed this same girl without her baby, she has the most joyous smile, I wish I could talk to everyone in that home and get to know them better. Hopefully during the next trip I can do a large format portrait of the entire family group.

Young mother with child 2, Mae Sot garbage dump, Thailand 2013