Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Darkroom Workshops? And Expanding Workshops?

I have been communicating with a nice fellow from Calgary (3+ hours South of my city Edmonton) about doing a darkroom workshop soon. My last 2 view camera workshop students are also planning to do a darkroom follow up workshop to process the film they shot. It will be fun to do be doing more of these workshops, you help someone become a better photographer, you meet interesting folks (professional pilots for Air Canada, software designers) and you learn as you teach which helps my photography. The other positive is the money gets reinvested into the photography, so its a win, win, win all around.

I have been thinking of trying to expand the workshops to something bigger, teaching more students at one time. I am not sure how to proceed with this idea but possibly through the metro continuing education system we have in place in Edmonton's public schools. If the workshops eventually get into a classroom setting I could do something on film cameras, view cameras, darkroom (facilities?) and possibly even documentary photography. The workshops would start with a basic introduction of who I am, by showing the work and then proceed to a practical teaching process. I would have to do it as a 1 or 2 day weekend workshop so it does not interfere with my regular night shift security job. I seem to have a steady flow of people inquiring and interested in the individual workshops I am offering, even from another city Calgary so an enlargement (pun included free of charge) of the process might prove feasible.

 It is something to think about, plan for and possibly do in the future.

Note* With the latest workshop interest from Calgary I have added some advertising to some Calgary pages, who knows a few more folks might be interested enough to drive North to study.