Thursday, April 10, 2014

Dads Photos

Here are 2 photos  I shot of dad mentioned in the earlier blog. I think in the future I might try to make darkroom tintypes or ambrotypes from these negs. I am so lucky that I was able to take these yesterday, the photos were made because of dads courage. Physically he made it down and up the stairs to the studio and he allowed me the freedom to be honest and shoot him in a truthful way. The pics are sad, they are difficult but true, he is a brave 82 year old man dying of cancer, the photos show the weight loss and hopefully the emotions my father is going through.  Maybe after printing or a darkroom wet plate process the finished image will have a bit of his inner strength, vulnerability and humanity. Once I get these all developed I will send in 1 or 2  as part of next years Alberta Art Acquisition submission. I might even try a show submission of this work or a combined "My Father" show of some kind. Maybe I can show them to the gallery curator I am meeting in May. Without my father I would never have been able to pursue my dreams in photography, so every photo I have ever made is directly connected back to him.

5x7 Tri-x neg shot in studio,  120mm lens, April 9 2014
8x10 Tri-x neg shot in studio, 300mm lens, April 9 2014