Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Two Boys And Their Father, First Fibre Print Today

This is the first fibre print of the day, it is a shot made in the dump of a farther and his 2 young boys working. This photograph was made at the time I did up the linked blog entry, the young boys are the ones mentioned in it. The father was recycling food he found, mostly rice.


http://gerryyaum.blogspot.ca/2013/11/nauseous.html

The above photo is the first printing attempt, I ended up printing three, each more complex. The final version of the print was quite involved, I can still improve on it.

Printing steps for version three:

- 55 second exposure f 5.6 filter 4.
- dodge top boy face -5 seconds.
- dodge bottom boys face -7 seconds.
- spread dodge bottom of shirt and legs of top boy -12 seconds.
- burn centre area left of top boy with hole card +15 seconds filter 2.
- burn upper right corner ground with hole card + 40 seconds filter 2
- edge burn with card 10 seconds left, right, top, bottom 20 seconds filter 2
- burning mask 1 + 80 seconds filter 2
- burning mask 2 + 60 seconds f 4 filter -1 (deep highlight burn).

Note* I tried swabbing the print with hot straight Dectol using a small brush but I am not sure it made any difference.
Note** I might try paper flashing in the future to reduce my need to burn highlights so much. I have never done it before but it's something I need to learn.

I have to get the "Families of the Dump" shown, it's important that people see the stories these families are telling. I need to some how get someone out their to exhibit the work, hopefully the first show will lead to many others and maybe even some artist talks. My goal when making the photographs was to help educate and raise awareness, I want others to learn about the lives of these Burmese refugee families. I have to keep pounding away at submitting the work, I will add images from the November trip to the next round of submissions. Some museum or gallery somewhere has to be interested.