Sunday, February 16, 2014

The Joy Of Pushed Tri-X

Pushed Tri-X is becoming one of my favorite photo looks. I am finding that I like the high contrast, blur, grain look of film shot in very low light then pushed in stand development with rodinal. Here is a sample of that proces, Tri-X pushed to 1600 and shot with my 35mm lens shot wide open to 1.4 and a slow shutter speed. These pics were made in almost complete darkness, the man in the first photo with the pail is gathering bones after a hindu religion nightime cremation. The second image is of a shrouded body awaiting cremation. 
 
When I return to Nepal I will go back to the same temple (forget its name just now) to do more work. This high contrast low shadow detail imagery is starting to grow on me, less can be more expressive! I will shoot more and more in this style in the future. After all the years I have been using Tri-x I am still learning this beautiful film, the best film ever created. I hope my blog advertising check comes soon, I need to buy myself some more of this stuff. Even thou I only shoot one film (what I recommend to everyone) I still have much to learn about it. I want to be able to shoot Tri-X in all conditions intuitively without using a meter and get the results I expect.



Bone collecting after cremation, Kathmandu Nepal 2013
Body awaiting cremation, Kathmandu Nepal 2013