Monday, February 17, 2014

Darkroom Day 27

Today in the dark I did  up maybe 25 8x10 work prints to check out various similar negs. Many times the negs shot back to back are very similar and you need a larger print to see the subtle differences between exposures. Sometimes a slight change in camera angle makes all the difference, it can completely change a composition, other times it might be the angle of a dogs head in the background. Tomorrow I will go through all my RC test prints I can look at every image detail see the work back to back and side by side. These prints will allow me to  make a final selection of what negs I should spend time with making 11x14 fibre photos.

Tomorrow I move on to real fibre prints, I have already laid out two boxes of 11x14 photo payer, one is Agfa Classic and the other a Kentmere paper. I bought the Kentmere box 5 or so years back hoping it would be an alternative paper for me but when I tried it and hated it, I've decided I would give it another chance. The Agfa Classic was my favourite paper for years but after Agfa stopped doing photo supplies I moved on to other papers. In the future I will probably standardize on one paper (Ilford warm tone) just like I use one film, but  I have all these old boxes of paper in the darkroom, I need to use them up first.

I will get to bed now, tomorrow after a nice long sleep I will spend the whole day tomorrow printing, hopefully I can put in 8 hours plus. This last week was a tiring one at work, ended up pulling 8, 12 hour night shifts in a row. I have the next week I have off work so I plan on printing everyday to keep my darkroom day streak alive. This is going to be fun!