Thursday, January 9, 2014

Sex Worker Photographs Featured On Slate.com, Behold Blog

Well the photos and the little write up made it into Slate.com today, here are the links. Thank you slate for showing the work.

http://www.slate.com

http://www.slate.com/blogs/behold/2014/01/09/gerry_yaum_photographs_sex_workers_in_pattaya_thailand_in_his_exhibition.html

With the recent showing of this series in PhotoNOLA 2013 and now on slate.com I feel I need to say thanks to a few folks.

Through the years I have shown the photographs and been helped by the contributions of many local photography friends. I would like to thank Rob P, Sheila H, Jim A, Jim C, Katherine C, Ray R, Jim G, Larry L, Tom W, Gerry S and Andy B for their thoughts and contributions on the series through the years. All that feedback both positive and negative helped me develop the way I shot the images. People taking note of your work and giving an opinion is always a good thing, the positive stuff is a reinforcement and the negative makes you think in a new way or puts a burr under your saddle to work harder.

I would also like to thank all the workers who let me into their lives to make these photographs, hopefully we can continue to tell your stories together in the future.

Having the series featured on slate.com is a direct result of the photographs being shown at PhotoNOLA 2013, I owe a great debt of gratitude to Thom B and all the other wonderful people involved in this important New Orleans photography festival.

http://photonola.org