Sunday, January 5, 2014

Crazy Dream

I just woke up before my last night shift of the week, I had a crazy dream. In the dream I was in a kind of Thai bar, filled with tired workers drugged out and afraid to speak to me. I was trying to communicate with them and learn about their lives, I was speaking a mixture of English and Thai in the dream. One girl was trying to tell me about her life in English but could not find the words and then I said to her in Thai that she could speak Thai to me, and she started talking in Thai. I was understanding most but not everything she was saying, she did not tell me her name after i asked her, she was an afraid and damaged girl. Then suddenly I was surrounded by many lustful farang (Western) men chasing and trying to talk to the same workers, they were crowded all around me and pushing me away to get at the girls, you could feel their hunger. I backed off and moved away, during the next part of the dream I was eating a meal at multiple tables. I was running from table to table transferring food and carrying all my camera gear, I was worried something would be stolen. In the last part of the dream I had some hungry skinny ladyboys sitting at a nearby table looking at my food and I started to share the dishes with them, I was giving them plates of various things and then I looked around and could not find my bag of Leica gear I was scrabbling around trying to find the bag. Where was it? Where were my cameras? Then I woke up!

Guess the dream was a lot like my real life experiences making photos, but still a bit of a disturbing way to spend my last few minutes of sleep before work today. Got to have some toast and peanut butter now before a bath and heading out into the freezing Edmonton winter and driving the icy snowy roads to work.

Note* It's strange but I often speak Thai in my dreams, that's where my head must be at even when I am in Canada.