Sunday, December 15, 2013

My Short Artist Talk

Note*, am writing this blog after my return to Canada.

The PhotoNOLA artist talk for "Body Sellers" went very well. I have been trying to achieve a 9/10 with my talks and this one might have been a 7 or 7.5. After the talk I received many compliments the rest of the evening as the PhotoNOLA visitors traveled from show to show, about 35 or 40 people heard the talk. I even got a compliment the following day from a beautiful young lady as I was standing in line to buy Richard Renaldi's book, "Hi, I loved your talk yesterday!"

I basically broke the talk down into the parts mentioned earlier

-Thanks
-Who I am
-Bar world stuff
-Project history
-A few subject stories
-Questions

I only had a short time to talk so spoke rather quickly, it probably lasted about 15-20 minutes. I want to do longer and slower spoken, more eloquent speaking in the future. I also want to humanize things more and add a bit of tasteful humour to lighten it up at times.

People were laughing and very serious at other times in the talk so I think I hit most of the good notes, the right notes. In the future if I include a powerpoint presentation I think things could really be effective then I can move up in to the 8s out of 10s. Overall this thing went very well and I was quite relieved when it was done. It was a great experience and one of my favourite memories of PhotoNOLA.