Thursday, November 14, 2013

Chances And Coincidenses That Led To Meeting Ken Opprann

Its funny how strange chances and coincidences in life work out. Last night by pure accident?, chance?, fate? I met a really cool and important freelance documentary photography, Mr Ken Opprann.

I was going to go home early after doing lots of walking but decided at the last moment to go for a 2 hour body massage at a shop on Bangkok's Silom road (my first massage in maybe 3 years). After a great massage I was walking home when there was a big rain shower, for a while I stood on the road undercover but it was not letting up so I decided to visit the cafe/restaurant I was standing in front of. I walk into this cafe (indoor and outdoor tables) and found a table along a quiet wall, just after I ordered some food I noticed a fricking huge cockroach running on the sofa across from me so I decide to change tables and take one nearer the window which had a view of the outdoor tables. While I was sitting at my little table and eating my ordered snack I noticed a bald powerful looking man working at his mac book directly in front of me, he was scanning through many photographs as well as doing what looked like some serious writing. It only took me a a few seconds to see the b/w photos were high class documentary style work. I immediately decided to approach him and went outside and introduced myself.

The photographer was a wonderfully skilled man named Ken Opprann who has traveled the world doing freelance documentary photography, he has 3 published books. We hit it off quickly he is a very nice fellow, I hope I can learn many things from him in the future.

Photojournist Ken Opprann



Chance, fate is strange thing to meet Ken the following had to happen:

1) I had to return to Bkk after 7 nights in Mae Sot, originally I planned to stay longer.
2) I had to take my first massage in 3 years.
3) I had to be stopped by a rain storm.
4) I had to choose to enter the Cafe to pass the down raining time.
5) I had to be turned off by the nasty huge cockroach and change tables.

All those things had to happen before I saw what he was doing on the computer which got me interested enough to approach him. This chance meeting may have an important influence on my photography, who knows maybe Ken will become a mentor-friend.