Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Studying Nachtwey's "Inferno"

I got the photographer James Natchwey's great book "Inferno" this last week, what a moving powerful work it is. I have been taking it to work each night and studying it, his use of verticals and strong unusual compositions are having quite an influence on me. I am not sure how much I will take away from all the nights I have studied Salgado and Natchwey but it is bound to have a positive influence on my use of light and composition.

Seeing the love, the compassion, the understanding and empathy these artists have for their subjects is also having a positive effect. I want to get as deep into the lives of the people I photograph as they do. Human beings are the most important and most difficult subject for an artist to try to communicate in his/her work. When documentary photography is done right the photographs can influence and change lives for the better, what is more important and beautiful than that? Having a positive influence in the lives of the worlds disadvantaged people is as good as it gets.

Please check out the link to see some of the extremely important and powerful photographs from Natchwey's book:

"INFERNO" by James Natchwey

James Natchwey