Wednesday, October 30, 2013

First Day In Slum

I did my first day in the slum today, I awoke at about 3am and went into the slum after a shower and breakfast at first light (620am). I found a new part of the railroad tracks in the slum that I have not photographed in before, it was right next door to my $25 a night hotel. The people I met today walking the tracks were a joy to be around, I got numerous offers of food (maybe 3) and took up some construction workers on their offer which was sticky rice and fried pork. I also got offered water by 3 or 4 people and beer by a couple others. Today was sort of a record for things offered me, that has always happened in the past but today it was super sized.

Speaking Thai today was difficult, I felt my mouth and toungue slipping and slurping trying to find the right words. Many times I had to repeat myself today so I think I am not speaking as well or as clearly as I have in the past, I need to work on that. I drank 2 bottles of water and I find I have less fear approaching people to talk to them about all kind of subjects, "A bottle of water please" "How much is the squid?" "Where is the nearest Internet shop" "There was a fire here in Rom Klao where is that? Along with the normal stuff, who I am, where I am from, where I learned Thai, why I am taking photos etc etc.