Monday, September 16, 2013

8 Turns Into 9

Well I finished this latest round of submissions, the grand total ended up being 9. I included a high end documentary photography venue in England called the Side Gallery. I have a bit of work to do on the spam/advertising submissions next work week then I will send out those as well (another 6 or so). I the next round the work includes these same "Families of the Dump" images along with a selection of 15 "Body Sellers" photos (sex workers on white background shots made in 2007, 2009 and 2012)

If you do not submit your work you will never get it shown, or noticed. I understand the major museums in Vancouver, Montreal, Toronto and the National Gallery in Ottawa are not going to get to excited about the stuff I am sending them, heck they just might toss the package in the garbage without opening it. The idea behind this is to be persistent, to keep working (pushing myself to get better) and keep submitting to these same venues over and over again, maybe someday interest will be raised and the work might be shown. To have the stories I want to tell seen in a world class Canadian venue would be something else. I feel I owe it to my subjects, I owe them a great debt, I need to tell their stories where the most people can hear their voices.

First things first thou, I need to make these submissions, continue to be dedicated to my art and work hard for those great pictures. Day by day, brick by brick builds the grand cathedral, I just hope I don't run out of bricks before I'm able to finish this thing. : )

Update* I mailed out the 9 submissions,  stamps cost $1.34 for Canada and $4.38 for Italy, UK. The stamp cost within Canada is reasonable so will be doing a lot more of those in the coming years. I also went down to Staples tonight and got 32 duo tangs booklets for future submissions. I have a box full of envelopes that I got when a local photo finishing business closed so the cost of sending these things out within Canada is pretty cheap, probably only $2.50 - $3.00 or so each. I can find the info on the gallery/ museums and work on the packages during my nightshifts, so making multiple submissions is not to big a deal.