Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Printing The New Orleans PhotoNOLA Show

Spent most of the night and part of the morning printing sex worker photographs for the coming PhotoNOLA show, the opening will be on December 14th in New Orleans. I need to get all the photographs printed and mounted onto aluminum by the end of October. I leave for Thai at the end of October to make new photographs so I need to get all 20 PhotoNOLA prints shipped out before I leave.

Last night while agitating trays I was trying to think of a good title for the show. In Thailand the people who work as sex workers commonly say they "Kai Doo-uh" which translates into "I sell my body."or "body seller". I was thinking that that title might work, it might fit. "Body Sellers: The Sex Workers of Thailand". I am debating whether I should include head shots and clothed portraits, or if I should just sow more of the body, like in the title. The product these workers sell is their body so showing more of that body in a non gratuitous or exploitative way seems to be the way to go.

I completed the first stage development of 3 ladyboy portraits last night, I will try to do another 3 negs tonight. I also need to finish off the bleaching, toning, final wash and spotting for my Alberta Open picture of Nit. I have to get that print into a frame (will re-use a frame and mat from "The Train Is Coming" show) and deliver it to the VAAA by weeks end, the deadline is the 16th of August.