Monday, August 26, 2013

A Third Sink In The Darkroom?

While I was printing tonight I came up with a plan to incorporate a third sink in the darkroom. I could add this new sink and stand fairly easily to my existing darkroom. If I add the sink to my current darkroom I would not need to develop a second darkroom somewhere else, it would be cheaper and much more practical an idea. I would have to move out several items from my current space, including a  light table and a large storage cabinet but I believe if I do I could have a U shaped area with 3 sinks on one end of the darkroom and my 5 enlargers in the other end. The design would mean I would have to walk a bit farther then I do now when using my main enlarger but setting it all up would be fairly easy. I would need to remove the items mentioned earlier, move one enlarger table (with 2 enlargers) over to the new space, move my drying cabinet about 10 feet and add drain pipes and hot and cold water to the new sink but that would be about it.

I could use the new sink for alternative processes and as a deep washing/storage work area, it would probably be a better more efficient way to work than I am now. I would certainly have more room to do all my wet work like pouring collodion on plates, coating platinum papers etc. There is no rush to get this done, the new sink is safely in storage and can sit for several years until I need it.