Saturday, August 17, 2013

A Book To Take To PhotoNOLA


I decided tonight I need to design and do a Blurb book for the upcoming New Orleans PhotoNOLA show. I have started to design the book at work tonight as time permits, using my laptop. The book will be called "Tears of a Butterfly, The Photographs of Gerry Yaum". It will be a 50 page (50 or so photos) 8x10 inch hardcover book in the landscape format (the longer length will be the vertical dimension). I will limit myself to 35mm Leica photos made in the last 3 years in Poipet Cambodia, Klong Toey slum in Bangkok, Thailand and the garbage dump in Mae Sot Thailand. I have already put together a 50 page basic draft of the book, hopefully I can get it refined and focused by Monday. The problem with doing these books is getting the pictures right, I will have to find all the negs I am using and rescan them to produce larger files, then I will have to touch them up with Photoshop Elements. After everything looks good on the computer I will need to send out  for two or possibly three soft cover test books to blurb before printing the more expensive hard cover version. This all needs to be accomplished and completed before my next Thai trip. It will be lots of work and the end result is only so so in quality as black and white photos always have a bit a bit off (color tint) in them when printed by an online publisher like Blurb.

This is the best I can do, no book publishers are lining up to print a REAL book for me so I have to try to do something acceptable by myself. I can take this book down to the PhotoNOLA show which will allow the guests at the opening to see a larger selection of my work.