Friday, July 12, 2013

Working Simple

I think I have settled in my mind that I need to work simple next trip. I will miss shooting the 4x5 but I want to see what happens if I stay focused and light with only 35mm gear. I got my new (used) small Domke F-3X bag today which holds all my Leica gear quite nicely. My current thinking is to go with 3-35mm cameras not 4,  and 4 lens, here is my latest smaller gear list:

2 Leica M6 Bodies
1 Leica R Body
21mm F2.8
28mm F2
35mm F1.4
60mm F2.8
Small Leica Flash
200 Rolls Tri-x

For my daily shoots I will be able to carry all the camera gear in one small Domke bag along with 10 or 15 rolls of film. Here are some pics of the gear and bag:



Traveling lighter should be a joy, I can concentrate on seeing, experiencing and creating. Because I am taking less cameras/lens/film, I will not need to have any check in baggage on the flight, I will carry on everything I need in this small camera bag and a small knapsack (film, clothes). I have never gone to Thailand without check in luggage, this will be a first! Traveling with 2 small bags will also make the Thai bus rides that much easier to manage. It will be very cool shooting light and fast and not being burdened with tons of heavy bags and equipment, this should be fun! Hopefully the work will be simpler, stronger and more fluid.