Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Working In Low Light

With the new 35mm F1.4 I have more confidence working in low light, the pic below is of my friend Larry it was shot at 1.4 with available daylight and a fairly short shutter speed, possibly 1/30th.


With this new f1.4 lens and the ability to push Tri-x to 800 comfortably and 1600 uncomfortably I have the ability now to shoot pics in extremely low light. The one thing I want to work on in the coming months before my next trip to Asia is using bounce flash with the Leicas. Two of my all time favourite Eugene Smith photographs, "Tomoko In Her Bath" and "Albert Schweitzer At His Desk" were shot on 35mm with bounce flash (off a ceiling and a dirty floor). If I can incorporate bounce flash techniques into my arsenal of shooting methods, then I am really sitting pretty.