Monday, July 22, 2013

Week Off Thoughts


Well my 7 day 12 hour shift work week if over with and now I have a week off to devote to my photography. I have lots of things to do starting with plenty of darkroom work. I need to print my single Alberta Open Photography Show print "Nit Thai Sex Worker"which is due mid August. I also need to dive head first into printing my PhotoNOLA show, this show has a shipping deadline of the end of October. I need to finish before I fly back to Thai to continue my photo projects. I will ship the photos out, then go to Thai for 5 weeks to photograph there, after my return to Canada I will work for 1 week before flying to New Orleans for the show opening. I might also have to do an artist talk in New Orleans not sure if that will happen or not (make up a powerpoint presentation like my friend Larry has?).

I have been carrying around my 35mm gear in my new bag to see how heavy things are and working out any problems (annoying clanging metal clasp now taped up). After carrying this gear for a short time I already know I will do without a 4th body (to heavy), I am wondering now if I can also do without the 4th lens? I plan on carrying the following:

-Leica R6 with 60mm
-Leica M6 with 35mm F1.4
-Leica M6 with 28mm F2
-Small portable flash for bouncing light
- Very small carbon fiber tripod?

I am wondering if I should take the 21mm F2.8. I got several  shots I liked last trip with this lens, currently its being cleaned and repaired. I think I will probably just take this lens in a side pocket, it will only add minimal weight and might be a very important tool in certain situations.

The other thing I have decided to do starting this week off is work on the Edmonton At Night project and also a project of close up work (not sure on the title for that series). I will use only the 35mm equipment I want to take to Thai for these photos, this will allow me more time with the equipment which will help things flow better when I am in Asia. I will use the ancient Tri-x and newer HP5 films, these are not life and death photos for me so if I screw up a bit its no biggy. Doing things this way will allow me to hit the ground running in Bangkok in 3 months. 

I will try to carry my 35mm gear back with me everywhere I go over the next 3 months. I want to just make picture after picture with it in all kinds of situations, different light etc. The only way you really become good at something is constantly working at it and I need more hands on time with these cameras/lens before I am in the dump, Klong Toey or somewhere else in Asia making pics.