Saturday, July 20, 2013

Following Your Heart


Today I got an email reconfirming my coming show in New Orleans as part of the PhotoNOLA photograhy festival, the email got me thinking back to the long development of this work. I had been making photos of sex workers in Thailand for several years, I was struggling at times finding my way. I was working in a foreign country, speaking a different language and in potentially dangerous situations, that and the fact I was fumbling my way around trying to find my  own vision drew everything out, it extended my learning curve by a few years. Several of the people I know from various photo clubs I belonged to had seen this slow evolution, these people got bored with the work and at times advised me to move on to other things. I felt thou that in my heart it was important to continue, that these were important stories I was telling. I was sort of spinning my wheels but I kept at it and as a result of that hard work and dedication the photos became better and the photoNOLA and Toot Yung Gallery shows are a result. If I had listened to my friends and given up on this series earlier I would not have gotten these international shows.

The point I am trying to make is that it is important to follow your own heart, make pictures that you think are important, if your sure your right ignore the crowd and try to find your own unique path. It is important to remember that anyone commenting on your photography is doing it from their own very personal perspective, so take what they say with a big grain of salt. You need to follow your own feelings, your own convictions first, be open to what others say but if you feel your right then disgard their opinions and move forward as your heart-mind tells you to. It is much easier to be part of a crowd or group, to join in and be accepted by the majority, but to be unique, by yourself, and to say something that no one else is saying, now that's special!

Update*
Just wanted to add this to the blog after getting a email from a Clive a friend. I mildly criticized some friends for trying to get me off the sex worker photos early on, I also need to give them some credit . My friends opinions even thou I did not agree with them made me think more about the way I was making pictures and what I was trying to say, they not only helped me focus the night life work but they also helped lead me to my current series of photographs in Klong Toey slum, the boxing gym and the dump in Mae Sot. That's why its important to listen to all points of view, you learn, change, fight, argue, debate your work and their work, its a great learning tool and something that's very important to the artistic process.

Thanks guys and gals for all your thoughts and feedback through the years.