Friday, June 14, 2013

"Train Is Coming Show" Is Done

This morning after 1 hour of sleep (worked developing/scanning film all night), I went down to the Jubilee Auditorium and picked up my 36 prints. Tarryn from the Jubilee who has helped me through out this exhibition helped me again to take down the framed photographs, I put them in bags then on cart and hustled them upstairs to my waiting truck. I gave Tarryn some chocolates as a thank you then that was that my first major solo show was done! It was a great experience thou I am not sure the cost of printing-matting-framing the show was worth it to me financially ($3000? $4000), that money might have been better spent buying film or traveling somewhere to make pictures. As an experience thou it was pretty amazing and challenging, I never worked so hard in the darkroom as I did for these pictures, I think I became a better printer as a result. I am also happy I was able to give a voice to the people I photographed and am glad I had the opportunity to show the Edmonton public a bit of the Klong Toey world. Hopefully what the people saw will inspire them in someway, either directly helping Klong Toey, indirectly volunteering here Edmonton or maybe artistically, creatively in some way. If the show did nothing else I hope it taught viewer how incredibly fortunate we are here in the West and to appreciate the wonderful lives they have.

I will make up the opening night show video in the coming weeks and post it on youtube, please keep an eye out for that. The small $200 check I got for the show I will put towards the 35mm Leica lens.