Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Positive Message Submission

Got my annual reject slip from the McMullen Gallery today. This is a tough gallery to get into but I think I am failing there before I start, when you have words like dump, slum and prostitution in your submission its a non starter with this place. The McMullen caters to sometimes terminally ill patients and their grieving visitors so they try to send an upbeat art message. I need to find a positive message photographic series to send them next year.

I do not want to compromise my personal vision by selling out just to get shown but I believe I can create something that I believe in and that will have a positive hopeful message that the McMullen might want to show. I do not want to go the pretty landscape, bubbling stream, snow covered mountain peak way but maybe I could do some landscapes/cityscape's that have a message but are also 100% positive in nature. I keep thinking back to the beautiful Buddha statues I have seen all over Asia, maybe I could do some of those, its something I would feel comfortable shooting and something that would fit into the McMullen's rather limited artistic mandate.

I guess I should not worry about this place to much its sort of only 1/2 an art gallery but still it would be nice to get in and those that do get into this limited mandate place (most galleries are in one way or another) deserve credit.