Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Much Improvement Needed

 I need lots of work on my 35mm photography, composition, quick accurate focusing, interpreting a scene correctly to tell the story properly, selecting the decisive moment better etc. I need to get the right camera angle, my use of light shadow need improving, the use of forground needs to be better to tell a 3D story. I need to be able to judge proper exposure with my eye not with a meter. I need to raise the percentage of good photos per roll. Sebastiao Salgado gets on average 6 work prints (good shots) per roll of film, at best I currently get 1 or maybe 2.

After spending the last two days intensely studying the work of Eugene Smith I see many faults with my work, my photographs do not sing like his, they might speak a bit occasionally but many of the images are missing so much. Lots of work needed, I think I will probably only take the 35mm cameras the next few trips overseas, I need to focus with these tools only (less is more) and tell a more complete, complex story in a more improved visual way. I need to feel and understand my subjects better, not only on a superficial emotional level but deep deep in my gut where it counts.

I am part of the way to my destination but still have a long way to travel, maybe with a concentrated effort in 10 years I will get to where I need to be.

Pittsburgh 1955, W. Eugene Smith