Saturday, June 1, 2013

Bought A 35mm F1.4 Aspherical Leica Lens

Gosh not sure this was the right move, I was thinking of buying the older 1960-1995 version of this Leica 35mm 1.4 lens  for $2029 USD at KEH.COM but then I saw this new version 35mm 1.4 lens which is bigger and heavier but also sharper at F1.4, F2, F2.8 and F4 than the older lens. I decided to do limited bidding on it as it was in very good condition and there seemed to be not much interest. Their was a bidding war between myself and 2 other people in the last 15 seconds of the auction. In the end I paid more for this lens than any other lens in my life $3250 USD, WOW! This lens beat out my old record of $2800 for the 28mm F2 Leica lens (a lens I love!). I hope I chose the right version, the older model is smaller and lighter, this lens is longer-heavier but sharper and cost $1231 more. I guess sharpness is the most important thing, now I can have confidence shooting at the wider apertures. Another advantage is this lens focuses closer than the older version 25 inches as compared to 39 inches, focusing closer is a big big bonus.

The good news is the beat up versions of this lens sell for around $3200-$3500 and the nicer versions sell for $3900-$4700 USD so I got it at a decent price as mine is in very good condition. I now have one of Leica's top lens, and also one of its fastest, I can use it in Asia in October. Leica lens hold much of their value, if I resell the 35mm someday I should get most of my money back. I always preach (sermonize) to my friends to get the best most reliable equipment and that is what I have done here. I paid a lot for it but I got a world class piece of glass which I will use for the rest of my life, I am starting to feel better about this decision.

I now need to decide to go with 3 or 4 bodies at the dump in Asia in October, I think at this point I will go with 2 M6 bodies, 1 M4P body and 4 lens, the 21mm, 28mm, 35mm and 50mm.

I am really drained of cash right now, I will put the gearing buying behind me now. I wanted to get a Gitzo center column geared tripod to use with the Linhof but that will probably have to wait until 2014. I will have to use my cheap Chinese carbon fiber copy tripod for at least 1 more year, hope it does not break down again, I have the thing super glued together.


Here is the beautiful Leica 35mm F1.4, I hope I can make some strong images with it next trip.


From Ken Rockwell's review of the lens.
The LEICA 35mm f/1.4 SUMMILUX-M is a super-sharp, super-fast general-purpose lens intended for journalists. Shoot it at f/1.4 and it's sharper than most other brand 35mm lenses at any aperture. I can shoot ISO 50 Velvia at night at 1/3 of a second hand-held at f/1.4, and get great results. 
 Note* I got an email from the seller saying he will ship on Tuesday. The lens is coming in from New Zealand so hopefully in 2-3 weeks I will have the lens and be testing it. Now if I can just manage not to drop it (like I did my Leica 28mm F2 and my Leica 50mm F1.4), I'm sitting pretty! Hopefully my tax refund check comes soon.