Monday, May 20, 2013

Last 30 Sheets

I pushed myself to go back to the Klong Toey slum boxing gym on my last full day in Bangkok. I shot 30 pics there, not in the gym but in the surrounding area. I went back to the area where I photographed the slum children before with the 4x5 and was swamped by 20 or so children. I was even remembered by name when a girl named Pim (I photographed her last year with her dog English), came running towards me yelling Gerry where is my photo of English? I did not have any photos to give the children but no one seemed to mind to much they all jumped around and played with the camera. A big hit this time round was when I showed them my Pentax spot meter, everyone child had to have a look through it, I must have held the think up and pushed the meter LCD button 50 times (some kids asked to see through it 3 times).

Things are also very relaxed in the gym, I joke with the trainers, everyone accepts me there with no problems (almost feel part of a family). Things are looking very good for future photos, heck I might even try doing a documentary film on the gym or a boxer or trainers life, it might be fun to try something like that.

I am happy I made the extra effort to shoot these last sheets, the harder you work the better results you get. I have an appointment in 5 months to give 4 pics to Pim 12 years old, 2 that I took before of her and English and 2 that I gook this time round (tough young girl). I also have to make up photos for both the boxers and the other chidlren in the area.