Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Extra Effort Made

Today I made it back to the school but I had miscalculated the time and it was only 1035pm, my pickup by motorcycle was at 1130pm. I was very hot and tired but I still had 3 35mm films left to shoot so remembering the famous effort Dorthea Lange gave to make the "Migrant Mother" photograph, I decided to go for it. I put my heavy camera bag on, threw the tripod and 4x5 Linhof and my shoulder then walked back out into the hot sun (had run out of drinking water earlier). I found some children playing in nearby water then found something that might lead to some good photographs, I found men and children in a muddy pond they had mostly drained of water. The men were using a net to try and capture fish that were in the remaining waist high very muddy water. It was a good visual opportunity and I shot different geometric looks of bodies, mud, the back hill and water. I only had the 28mm and could get only so close before I started slipping down the muddy slope (was worried about going swimming with the Leica). I think I got some good shots, I wish I had the 50mm with me, that might have worked a bit better.

Anyway I hope the extra effort led to some effective photographs.

I was rewarded with a big glass of water later on at the school, a young girl brought to me the glass along with a big smile, warm water never tasted so good.