Saturday, May 11, 2013

Day 8 Saying Goodbye At The Dump

Well today I said goodbye to the people living and working at the dump site. I have sort of become a regular there (being called by my name now), especially in one section of about 6 shacks. This morning I went from shack to shack doing 4x5 group portraits, using my 75mm lens. I also did some shots with the Leica and the small color digi camera. I will return in 3 or 5 months with prints for everyone.

It was sad to say goodbye today, these people cannot go forward to other countries or back to their own homes in Burma, they are caught in a no mans land. They work in the dump site because its the only way they can make a living, the only way they can feed their families. Seeing children running barefoot through the garbage or covered in flies is heartbreaking. You feel so helpless being in a situation like that, you want to help but how? I did my normal little bit today, I gave out my 2 bags of rice and canned fish to 2 homes and also secretly handed out some money to a few families. I have been told that if you give to some and not all you can cause problems, so I try to give out equally to everyone and if I do give a bit more to one or another I try to do it quietly.

I also donated 3000 Baht ($105 CAD) to the Sky Blue School. The school has 9 teachers who do not make a salary and 90 students who will be starting their term on May 15th for 10 months. The school is facing a financial crisis this year so I am trying to raise awareness. If you would like to donate anything you can contact them through this email address which belongs to the headmaster (principal of the school).

thanhtazaw@gmail.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWle6_g-i74