Tuesday, May 28, 2013

All In?

I am thinking of going all in when it comes to my 35mm work next trip. I have the opportunity to buy a slightly damaged and very used Leica 35mm F1.4 lens. Leica has an older and newer version of the lens, I cannot afford the newer version as it runs at $4000+ used (can't really afford the older version either!). The older lens which was made in Canada was made between 1960 and 1995, its a legendary piece of glass. Even thou its old and has some slight damage (not to the glass) it will still cost me $1980.00 (plus tax and shipping), that's a ton of money for one small lens but I'm temped. If I bought the lens I would probably go with 4 camera bodies and 4 lens next trip which might be a bit of overkill or might work out great. The Leica cameras are compact very well made and reliable so I could carry 3 M6 bodies, 1 MP4 body along with 21mm, 28mm, 35mm and 50mm lens. So far I like the several of the 35 negs shot this last trip, the 35mm lens might me allow better photos next time. Should I go all in and buy a lens I really can't afford? I still have several film payments, the last of the 8x10 and the coming 35mm 50 box bulk order and wanted to buy a Gitzo (expensive) tripod for the 4x5.