Sunday, May 5, 2013

2nd Day At The Dump

Today at the dump was more relaxed than yesterday, I took the 35s and just wandered around shooting people around their homes. There did not seem to be to many people working in the dump site, I asked around and I guess the trucks come very early around 3am in the morning.

The people are very kind, everyone I meet seems to be gracious and friendly. I have only had one person out of maybe 50+ who has said no photos, everyone else seems to be welcoming me in. I got asked to share meals today, have been asked to sit in peoples homes (very barren type shacks). On this day my second in the shop I have already been greeted by 4 or 5 people I met yesterday, in a few more days most people at the dump should recognize me.

I gave out my second bag of rice to a young family who had a baby and a sick mother, when I walked by 3 hours later the mother sat up and greeted me with a smile and a nod from her home. Tomorrow I will try to give the rice to another family I photographed today, this family also has a very young baby and many children. I need to go buy more rice today, this time I will get it from the local store pre packaged, the first 3 bags of rice I bought whole sale and seperated myself.

Tomorrow I will try taking my 4x5 camera, I feel quite comfortable there now and the people know me a bit so I think its OK to move in format.