Thursday, May 30, 2013

1st Day Klong Toey Boxing Portraits Turned Out!

Gosh who knew, I thought I was having trouble with my shutter the first day I shot at the Klong Toey Muay Thai gym, turns out the exposures were OK. I am not sure I composed the portraits right, maybe the wider lens (90mm not my regular 150mm) should have made me move my camera a bit closer. I do like using the 90mm lens to make portraits thou, the slight distortion is visually appealing to me (as I hoped) and including more background in the photograph I also like.

With the Linhof 90mm lens shutter working in  these shots maybe I jumped the gun buying the 90mm Nikon last week, oh well whats done is done, the moneys spent. I am sure I will use the Nikon 90mm for years to come, in combination with the 150mm Nikon it should be my main portrait lens in the future.

Here are some of those shots from that 1st day at the gym, I am not sure the negs are sharp enough to print, they were made at 1/8 and F8 and a bit soft:





I am quite happy with these 90mm available light portraits, I will shoot more in October, and also shoot other vertical and horizontal portraits in the slum using this lens. I need to get myself a large reflector to use, one that will allow me to add light to the subject from a greater distance. I am starting to feel like my 4x5 large format portraiture is coming together. Glad I did not have a shutter malfunction! A few more years of this and I will move up to 8x10.