Sunday, April 7, 2013

Stand Development

I think this might work for me. I sometimes need to push Tri-x and I have a whole lot of Rodinal that I bought a few years back when Agfa photography went belly up. I might be able to kill 2 birds with one stone, I can use up all my bottles of Rodinal and I can push Tri-x when needed. This should open doors to  new low light picture making opportunitie, especially where in Asia where I shoot lots of 35mm in low light.

I used stand development for the first time on these scanned negs, they turned out better than pushing with D-76.

Stand development with Rodinal 1:100, 5ml of Rodinal to 500ml of water. Agitation was as follows, I gently inverted the tank for 1 minute, then let it sit (stand) for 2 hours with only 15 seconds of agitation (swirls like wine in a glass) every 30 minutes (3 times, at 30 minutes, 1 hour and 1 hour 30 minutes), everything was done at 20C. Stop and fix as normal and wallah, lower contrast, more detail, a  more printable neg. This development brought down the contrast and there seems to be more sharpness and shadow detail, tonight I will try a 1:200 dilution.

The film was Tri-x exposed not at my normal 200 ASA but at 800 ASA. I would probably not go higher than 1600 ASA but might try that soon to see what kind of results I can get.


Thank you P. Lynn Miller!

http://www.flickr.com/groups/rodinal/discuss/72157608203774894/