Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Preparing For Thailand

I shot some 4x5 film over the last few days which will allow me to make my final camera kit choices for the trip. I am testing 6 Grafmatic backs trying to find at least 4 that do not leak light. I am also working at doing portraits with a 90mm Linhof lens for the first time. The portraits I shot of my father today (at an old abandoned plant site he used to work at) were all done with the 90mm. I was unable to do close face shots (will have to use the 150mm for that) but I did like the head and shoulder and full body shots I made with the lens. I had vignetting problems with the 90mm Linhof lens, check out the scans below :





I am not sure I like the sharpness or the tiny image circle of this lens, to bad! I might have to can this 90mm portrait stuff until I can afford another sharper 90mm with a larger image circle. I will probably work with the 75mm this week to see if that might be my secondary lens this trip. The 75 would probably be to wide for portraits but it might work with some cramped interior shots or shots where I want a wide angle distorted view of things. 5 out of the  6 Grafmatic backs seem OK for light leaks, I will retest number 6. I am happy I will be able to use the Grafmatic backs this trip, it will save space and be much lighter to carry. I can do 4 Grafmatic backs a day which will hold 24 sheets of film, if I take 250 sheets with me that will give me about 10 days of shooting 4x5 film this trip.