Saturday, January 19, 2013

Ottawa Trip

I am planning a trip to Ottawa, I have not been to Eastern Canada since I was a young boy of maybe 10 when I visited Toronto with my parents. I want to go to Ottawa to visit the National Gallery of Canada, the museum has a retrospective on the great living legend photojournalist Donald McCullin. I have admired Mr. McCullins work all my life and now I have an opportunity to see a major collection of his photographs at the most important museum in Canada. I can't really afford a trip to Ottawa right now but I think its something I just have to do. Hopefully with air miles along with cutting as many corners as I can, a 3 day trip to Ottawa will not be to expensive. I plan on going to the see the exhibit everyday and spend many hours studying the work.

One of my dreams is to be collected into the Canada council's art bank and to one day have at least 1 photograph shown at the National Gallery. I know its a bit of a long shot but heck we have to chase down our dreams, that's what lifes all about!

Seeing the museum and being in that atmosphere should be very inspiring and should egg me on in my quest to create important work that might eventually be collected and shown. Viewing Donald McCullin's photographs should also be a huge inspiration and a education into the very best of compassionate photojournalism. I hope it will have a positive influence on the shooting I will do in Thailand later this year.

Here is a link to the McCullin retrospective:

Here are links to photographs in the National Collection and to the art bank:

http://www.artbank.ca/en/40th.aspx