Friday, January 25, 2013

First International Show In New Orleans!!

I got some very exciting news today, I am going to have my first International show, it will be in New Orleans USA and run sometime in 2013. The show would be  connected to the 8th International PhotoNOLA photography festival and held at an attached studio to the Scott Edwards Gallery.


While its not the main gallery, I am very happy with this news. I thought after the Kaasa solo show I would not have any other shows to work towards but now I do. The printing for this New Orleans show should be a bit less work as I would be only making 11x14 prints (I have 200 sheets of warmtone Ilford I can use), and the 8x10 white background negs are easier to print. Getting the 10 - 16x20 frames to New Orlean might be a bit difficult but I will figure out how to do that. I will also have to factor in travel and accommodation costs but I will work that out bit by bit. Heck its my first International show, I want to make this work well. 

Most importantly I can show at tell some of the stories of the sex workers of Thailand.

I hope this works out and is all on the up and up.

Here is edited version of the  email I received today with a few more details, and a few nice comments about the work (I have been a fan of Bellocq and Avedon for years) :

Gerry,

Hope the New Year finds you doing well. We are finally starting to recover from PhotoNOLA 2012 and are starting to plan for 2013. 2012 was a great festival; our 7th year!

I met with Scott Edwards http://scottedwardsgallery.com/ the other day and he is interested in hosting an exhibit of your work! His main gallery is already spoken for but he has an attached studio and said he would be happy to have your work there if you think it could work for you. He told me there is one wall available for hanging work and thought that about ten 16x20 frames would fit there; more if you wanted to hang salon style. I haven't seen that space but will go look at it soon. In the meantime, I asked him to send some pics to get an idea of what it looks like. I will forward to you when I get them. He has a simple 50/50 split with the artists he exhibits. He does do heavy promotion of each show and, if you could possibly be here for the opening, would promote that as well. You would be responsible for getting the work here and back but I can help hang the show.

My interest in showing your Sex Worker's series is that I think it references some of New Orleans' history of prostitution i.e. E.J. Bellocq while, at the same time, provides a very personal, direct look at the individuals working in the trade now. Your work, to my mind, combines the warmth of Bellocq and the style of Avedon; not a bad combo.

............

O.K. enough for one day. :) I'll be in touch.

Thanks,

...........

..................................................................................................................................................................