Saturday, December 29, 2012

The Story Behind The Photo: Young Cambodian Woman

I thought I would start to tell some individual stories behind various photos (sort of a new blog feature!)

I will start with this one of a young Cambodian woman I photographed in November 2011, in Poipet Cambodia.




This girl did something I have experienced in other parts of Cambodia (in the past other women have done this to me in Phnom Penh and Sihanouville Cambodia). They sort of  talk (sort of flirt) with you and joke then grab a big pinching handful of arm skin and pinch and twist it REALLY REALLY HARD!! (grip of death stuff) not sure what the deal is (maybe its part of the Khmer mating dance) but many Cambodian girls seem to do it (more violent culture?). In Thailand the women might do it a tiny bit but not in the same way or nearly as hard, it f-cking hurts!! After the pinch/twist their is a laugh and smile, they quite enjoy it and think its funny.

This girl (have to check my notes for her name) lived in the poorest place I have ever made photos, absolute squalor. She talked to me a bunch of times and let me photograph her after running away shyly at first. I think that her family is behind her, not sure if the child is hers (probably a younger brother). Beautiful lady, I would like to go back and give her this photo and learn more about her, wish I could speak Khmer! She also helped me buy a treat from a local seller and then said goodbye to me 2 different times. Hope she and her family can get out of that place and have a nice life together.