Thursday, October 4, 2012

Cross Canada Wet Plate Collodion Project Idea

Got another project in mind (number 65?), if it happens it would probably not be undertaken for a long time. The idea is a cross Canada journey making wet plate collodion imagery. I guess I should actually make my first 8x10 wet plate image before I imagine a grand project but what the heck its fun to dream of making pictures (one of my favourite pastimes).

To make this work, I could get together a wet plate collodion trailer darkroom  which would be hooked up to some kind of RV.

Something like this?
Then it would just be a matter of taking along some large format cameras maybe a 8x10 and a 16x20 or 20x24 and making pictures. I would not have to deal with Visas, transporting the collodion chemistry to Asia etc. A project like this would even work when I am older 70? Thou moving around a big camera at that age might be to difficult. Will see what happens as my wet plate experience improves, who knows it might happen!

Ian Ruhter is doing a USA version of this very project right now, here is Ian's real life adventure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSpkyAUZWUk

If the wet plate part of this does not work out I could shoot it traditionally on film, then make platinum or silver gelatin prints.