Saturday, September 29, 2012

My First Tintype

This is my first ever tintype a 4x5 image I made with the help of Melissa a fellow wet plate collodion student, we both learned the process last weekend. I like the soft beauty in the eyes and compelling expression in the shot, the slight blur from the 7 second exposure at F6.7 with the modern Fuji 250mm lens also helps I think.

I warmed up the image a bit using photoshop elements, the scan I did sort of made everything look pale. The adjustment in photoshop made it a bit closer to what the tintype looks like. For years I have always tried to get my photographs as sharp as possible with tintypes and ambrotypes I will probably go the other way (partly because of the limits of collodion), and do blurred photos with movement in them. This process should open up a whole new type of photography for me.

Melissa Wet Plate Collodion Student, Canada 2012

This tintype idea came to me the night before it was made, I thought it might work with Melissa and if it did I could try it again later in Southeast Asia. I think the image works so I will try it again if and when I make tintypes or ambrotypes for the "Lost Innocence" project.