Thursday, August 16, 2012

Dips and Trips

Been thinking of doing a some multiple print layouts, diptychs and triptychs. The idea for the diptych is a topless nude shots of a girl Weaw shot from below with a wide angle lens, in one picture her head is down and there is a slight erotic feel to the image in the second shot the face is turned away, the eyes distant and a bit troubled. When I was was choosing which picture to print I was torn between the two as I felt they both said such different things, a diptych they might work best,  it would show more complexity in the person, 2 very different realities.

The other idea I had was to do do a triptych, this series of 3 photos would be vertical shots on white of the ladyboy sex worker Betty. I photographed Betty quite a bit last trip (she became a friend who helped me find other ladyboys to photograph), the first time I photographed her was back in 2007. I was thinking that the 3 betty photos I would use would be:

1) a vertical shot in a dress
2) a close head shot
3) a vertical shot in the same dress as number 1 but this time with the dress raised up showing a full frontal nude

I think the 3 photos together would speak more completely as to who she is, a lady, a compelling intelligent person and also a man.  The 3 photos side by side would tell a larger story than any one individual image could.

I have yet to print the Betty photographs so I might be getting a bit ahead of myself but I think the 2 diptych images of Weaw will work well. I plan on taking both of these multiple image print layouts to a mono guild photo function to get some feedback. If the ladyboy sex worker triptych is well received I will probably show the work that way at Photonola 2013 festival (if I get into it that is!) or at other showings of the sex worker imagery in the future. I might also try doing several diptychs from the sex worker series, Long 2007 and 2009, Mat 2007 and 2009, Bla 2009 and 2012 etc.