Wednesday, August 29, 2012

8x10 Tri-x Buy

Doing a big 8x10 Tri-x buy, I am hearing mixed stories on the demise of this size of Tri-x so figured even thou it cost more than Ilford's HP5 I would do a big buy of 600 sheets. I will have to make 3 payments on the film over a 4 or 5 month period. I love Tri-x and am getting better at shooting 8x10 so it seems the prudent thing to do. I am also working some security OT so hopefully that can help pay for things.

I am not sure if I am doing the right thing here, money is so short for me right now. When I think of the film I keep seeing what might be, I keep seeing in my minds eye the possible negs and prints that could be created. Its really hard for me to lay off buying the film when I know that there is the possibility of creating something special, the possibility of telling an important story. If I can make a strong photograph of a child at the Mae Sot dump, or of a ladyboy sex worker's life, or of an old lady in a slum home, that is all that should matter. Who cares about a few bucks spent on film when you can create something that has a truth, honesty and beauty to it.

F-ck it, screw the cost, will buy the film!