Sunday, June 10, 2012

The Importance Of Printing

I do not spend enough time in the darkroom making fine prints. I am constantly developing film but when it comes to making the fine prints I do not devote myself to it at the same level. I need to develop a routine where on each of my days off the work (12 hour security nightshifts) I do at least 2 hours of printing.

I read years ago how Brett Weston would rise early every morning and print for 3 or 4 hours before going out to do the days shooting. I have hundreds of negatives I would like to print but somehow I never get around to it. I think this is partly out of fear, images are always perfect in my imagination but when making the print you are forced to confront your misconceptions, it can be a bit depressing and very disappointing. If the print is good and you got it, then its as great a feeling as is possible in life, it's the high of highs but if the opposite happens and you f-cked up in some way then its very disheartening, a moment in time you lost forever.

It's important I work hard at my printing in the coming years. My hope is that this will turn into a great learning experience. When you print your forced to confront your mistakes, it can teach you to what does not work, you can adapt and learn from those mistakes. What I am doing now by not printing enough is limiting my learning opportunities. I need to push on through, make my fine prints and learn from my mistakes.

I am at a place in my photo life where more and more real prints are necessary, for shows, for (possible) sales, for portfolios, box sets etc. My darkroom is filled with photo paper, developers and worthy negs. It's time to get off my ass and set up a daily routine of fine art printing.

This coming week off I will try to do 4 days of printing of at least 2 hours a day.