Thursday, May 3, 2012

Shot The 8x10 Deardorff

Was feeling bad yesterday going into my first photo session with dad for the "My Father At 80" portrait series. The Jobo breaking down and the $1000 added expense was a real downer. Once I got in the field with dad and started making pictures my negative mood eased up and after it was all said and done I was feeling quite good. Making pictures has always had this effect on me, it saves me from being a glum old gus, it helps me recover from the downs in life. Photography has always been a natural high for me, something that keeps me balanced and at peace with myself.

Shooting the 8x10 Deardorff for the first was a bit awkward but was also loads of fun. I felt all thumbs using the camera but boy was it a joy to work with. In the future as I get more and more experienced with this tool the photos will improve also. When I eventually get the money together and buy ANOTHER Jobo online I will develop the film from this shoot and then post it on the blog.

This was the first time I have ever shot an 8x10 camera in natural light doing portraits. Exposures with the 250mm Fujinon lens were at 1/4,1/8 andF16- F22 and 1/8. I placed dads face on Zone VI with Tri-X 8x10 sheet film rated at 200.