Thursday, March 15, 2012

Screams Of The Doo-Keh And Other Animal Sounds

I have travelled in Thailand and Southeast Asia many years now, I have heard many animal cries in the night but nothing prepared me for the close up call of a Doo-Keh lizard. I was trying to fall asleep in my pitch black Muang Noi Laos room when I heard the very loud cry of a lizard which seemed just feet away.

DOO-KEHHHHH!!! DOOOO-KEHHH!!! DOOOOO-KEHHHH!!!

The first time it happened I jumped upright in bed, it sounded like the thing was calling from under my pillow. I had heard these lizard calls before during my travels  but never up close and personal like this! I think he must have been in the rafters above my bed somewhere because the little guy could have woken the dead. Now I understand why Thais call the lizard Doo-Keh.

The rest of that night and the next night as well Mr. Lizard let out his ear shattering cry every few hours.

Hmm Spiders, Lizards and Roosters, this is a real wild kingdom like trip.