Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Tanned Old Dudes

In front of the hotel I am staying at where I am making my white background portraits is a small cafe bar. I walk by the place everyday and see the same tanned old dudes looking out onto the empty street. The soi (street) of my hotel on is a quiet little area in otherwise busy and noisy city. The tanned dudes sit out front drinking, talking, eating, with their Thai girlfriends. Not sure where these expats came from, their language sounds Northern europeon. It does not seems to matter what time I pass the same dudes are doing the same things, all hours of the day and well into the night. Gosh their has to be something more to life than wearing loud shirts, tanning your skin a deep brown and dying your hair jet black (70 year old guys with jet black hair?), hten drinking and staring out into space with a bored expression. These guys seem to be just wasteting their lives waiting to die.

 A few days back I went to the top floor to check out the swimming pool, the same dudes were rotating their rotund bodies in the sun trying to get even tans while wearing the skimpiest of bathing suits, at least there were no g-strings in sight. I thought about having a swim in the pool but quite often in my room I find little pubic hairs about (hotel not very clean), and the thought of swimming in the tiny rooftop swimming pool filled with old tanned dude pubes is not very appetizing.

Maybe at some future date I should try doing a series of portraits on the expats, sexpats of Thailand.